Planks are a classic movement to help strengthen the core, shoulders, and back. Adding in the element of the dumbbell row puts more focus on the core and improving balance.
- Get into a pushup position, with a dumbbell near each hand. For this movement, it is ideal to use dumbbells that are rubberized so that they don’t roll so easily when you are balancing on them.
- Ensure that your bottom, back, and neck are in alignment as to prevent injury.
- Grab a weight in each hand, and balance yourself.
- Once you are steady, Lift your arm, moving your elbow back and upwards as seen in the video below.
- Lower the dumbbell to the floor.
- Repeat the movement on the other side. I’m unable to balance well on my left arm, so I continued the movement on the same side to show how to complete the exercise.
- Rather than focusing on being able to lift a heavier weight, pick a lighter weight and focus on the stability factor. It’s harder than it looks!
Please speak to your provider before starting a new exercise regimen.