Dumbbell shoulder raises work your core, shoulders, and upper trapezius. When completing this exercise, it is important to keep your core activated, and avoid bending your back.
- Holding a pair of dumbbells with an overhand grip, straight at the edge of a chair, with your chest up and core activated.
- Lift the dumbbells in front of you. Keep your core contracted as you raise the dumbbells. Feel the contraction in the shoulder muscles.
- Make sure that as you move the dumbbells upwards, that you aren’t swinging them, but are lifting them.
- Once the dumbbells reach shoulder height, pause and slowly lower the dumbbells to the starting position (you’ll see in the video that I lift the weights beyond that point- I should stop the movement earlier, to avoid injury).
- Complete 12-15 reps for one set, work to complete 3 sets as your strength increases.
Please speak to your provider before starting any new exercise regimen.