This week’s exercise is a seated side-bend. It works the upper back, chest and hips. The seated variation is great if you struggle to complete a standing side-bend, have knee or ankle trouble or are working to build your fitness stamina.
- Start by sitting in a chair with one leg over one edge, fully extended, and the other leg off the other side of the chair- but at a right angle (see image below).
- You’ll be leaning on the fully extended leg, so make sure you’re on a steady surface and that your feet are planted firmly on the ground.
- Place the arm on the same side as the extended leg just above the knee and slowly bend towards the extended leg.
- Ensure that you’re bending towards the side and not leaning forward.
- Raise the opposite arm over your head and hold the position for 10-15 seconds.
- Slowly return to the starting position.
- Repeat on the opposite side.
- Complete the stretch 5-8 times on each side.
Please speak to your provider before starting any new exercise regimen.