Often referred to as “skull crushers”, the lying tricep extension is a great way to build strength in the triceps. When completing this movement, you’ll want to maintain awareness that you’re not straining your neck and back; keep the weight on the lighter side until you are comfortable with the form.
- Start by laying on the floor with a weight in each hand.
- Bend your knees so your feet are flat on the floor.
- Raise the dumbbells towards the ceiling, holding them with your palms facing towards each other (inwards towards your body).
- Bend your elbows, bringing the weights down towards your ears. Make sure you are hinging at the elbows, not at your shoulders.
- Slowly raise the weights back to the starting position. Make sure you’re doing this with a smooth, deliberate motion, don’t jerk or rapidly push the weights upward.
- Complete 10-12 reps for a full set, complete 2-3 sets.
Please speak to your provider before starting any new exercise regimen.